Following these 3 Important Fitness Hacks will set you up for Gym Success throughout 2019
Good intentions? We all have them. Motivated to succeed, we start and then somewhere down the line we fall off the wagon (or should I say treadmill), wondering where our direction and motivation has gone.
Following these 3 important steps will set 2019 up to be the year you take control and smash your fitness goals.
Step 1: Plan! Put Pen to Paper and Stick to It
Planning is the FIRST point of action for any successful project. Think…
WHAT do I want to achieve? = To be able to run 10K comfortably within an hour.
WHY do I want to achieve that? = I want to feel healthy, confident and motivated.
HOW do I achieve that? = Commit to running 3 x per week, record my runs, each time trying to improve my distance and time.
Step 2: Be SMART
Being smart with your goals is being patient and consistent. The changes we aspire towards occur as a result of habitual behavior. Therefore, be SMART with your fitness goals and understand that progress will be made over a sustained period of time - do NOT expect to see any drastic changes in a week. Each goal should be:
- Specific - Vague or generalised goals are unhelpful because they don't provide sufficient direction. Your goal must be clear and define precisely where you want to end up.
- Measurable – Be precise! Include distances, times and dates in your plan so you can measure your success as you go, and change your plan accordingly.
- Attainable - A goal that you have no hope of achieving will only leave you demoralised and erode your confidence. By setting realistic, yet challenging goals, you hit the balance you need. These are the types of goals that require you to "raise the bar" and they bring the greatest personal satisfaction.
- Relevant - Goals should be relevant to your individual fitness desires. If you want to focus on building muscle – form your goals around increasing your weights week by week. If long distance running is your thing, make sure you are including sufficient distance building into your fitness plan.
- Time Bound - Your goals must have a deadline. This means that you know when you can celebrate success. When creating your masterplan (step 1), ensure you set a date to reach your goal.
Step 3: Keep Positive, Stay Focused & Be Inspired
We all know that almost anything is achievable if you put your mind and body to the test. However, it is essential that you do not compare yourself to the rest of the world – the greatest achievements and physical feats were not achieved overnight. On a personal level, life can get in the way of us achieving our goals so be patient and strive for progress, not perfection.
There are many podcasts, YouTube videos and books out there that offer motivation and guidance. Be kind to yourself - it’s extremely easy to procrastinate and lose focus. We all have an emotional tie for why we want change. When you begin to waiver or feel demotivated, go back to your original plan - ‘What, Why & How’ and remind yourself why you're doing what you're doing. Take ownership of your health and fitness and you'll reap the benefits, both physically and mentally.